Preparation for Confession (II)
Here are some aids in preparing
for her confession and I found in my files the following which I have given to
parishioners at times to help them prepare. This comes from no single source
but is drawn from a number of places.
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
- Thou shalt have no
other gods before Me.
- Thou shalt not make
any graven image, or bow down before any
- creation in heaven or
- Thou shalt not take
the name of the Lord in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath
day and keep it holy.
- Honor thy father and
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not commit
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt not bear
false witness against thy neighbor.
- Thou shalt not covet
that which is thy neighbors.
COMMANDMENTS OF THE CHURCH
- To abstain for servile work
on Sundays and Holy Days.
- To attend Divine Liturgy on
Sundays and Holy Days.
- To fast and to abstain on the
days appointed by the Church.
- To confess our sins and to
receive the Holy Mysteries at least
- once a year.
- Not to solemnize marriage at
- To pray to God every day,
especially at morning and evening.
SEVEN DEADLY SINS
ACCESSORIES TO SIN
By counseling, by commanding, by
consenting, by provoking another to sin; by praise of flattery, by concealment,
by silence, or by defending that which is wrong.
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF
TO PREPARE FOR CONFESSION
- Have you prayed to God upon
rising and before eating and sleeping?
- During prayer were you distracted
by other thoughts?
- Did you make the sign of the
- Have you attended Church
- When in Church, have you been
inattentive, laughed or talked unnecessarily?
- Have you used the name of the
Lord in swearing or in a joking
- Have you sworn or murmured
- Have you been ashamed to make
the sign of the Cross in front of others?
- Have you attended parties,
movies, etc. during the hours of Church services?
- Have you failed to keep the
fast or other rules of the Church?
- Have you believed in
astrology, superstitions, fortune-tellers
or the like?
- Have you strayed from the
teachings of the Church by unbelief or indifference to the Faith?
- Have you failed to ask for
God's help in every effort?
- Have you concealed sins at
- Do you show your parents
proper respect? Have you been rude to them, talked back or otherwise
- If your parents are reposed,
have you prayed for them?
- Have you been disrespectful
to members of the clergy, your elders, teachers or superiors?
- Have you been angry or
- Have you abused anyone? Used
foul language? Struck someone?
- Offended someone in an
- Have you raised your voice in
- Have you joked or made fun of
the handicapped, unfortunate, or elderly?
- Are you truly at peace with
- Have you asked forgiveness of
those you may have offended?
- Have you failed to give aid
to someone in need, especially when asked?
- Have you donated to the needs
of the Church?
- Have you been cruel to
- Have you taken something
- Have you failed to return a
book or other thing that you have borrowed?
- Have you been stubborn,
insistent on pressing your point of view?
- Have you plotted or taken
revenge on one who's offended you?
- Have you told falsehoods,
distorted the truth, cheated, judged others or gossiped?
- Have you joked of the faults
of others, or exposed the faults of another to make yourself the better?
- Have you been vain? Sought
glory or praise for yourself?
- Does your inner peace
disappear when others are unfair to you or judge you?
- Are you proud? Do you brag of
your abilities, position or possessions? Do you consider yourself worthy
or sinless in the sight of God?
- Have you been overly
concerned with your appearance? Are you properly attired in God's house?
- The 7th commandment includes
all sins of a sexual nature, either by thought, word, or deed, any of
these must be confessed.
- Have you been envious of
another's possessions, appearance or standing?
- Have you fulfilled all obligations
faithfully? Have you been lazy?
- Have you been impatient?
Fallen into despair or apathy? Had thoughts of suicide?
- Are you attached to smoking,
alcohol, or other drugs? Food or drink?
- Do you give up your heart to
money or other earthly possessions?