Preparation for Confession (I)
I, a sinful soul, confess to our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ, all of
my evil acts which I have done, said or thought from baptism even unto this
First Torment: Idle speech
- Have you spoken without
thinking? or spoken too much? or spoken anything that is impure? or
shameless? or without need or order? or unreasonable? or unclean?
- Have you thought or said
angry words or foul words?
- Have you participated with or
sung worldly shameless songs in word or thought?
- Have you laughed
unnecessarily or excessively? or laughed about things that you shouldn't
have laughed about or found funny?
- Have you acted too silly?
Second Torment: Lying
- Have you kept the vows of
- Have you failed to keep oaths
or promises to God?
- Have pronounced the name of
God without reverence?
- Have you falsely confessed
your sins? or was insincere about, belittled, justified, or kept silent
about your sins during confession?
- Have you lied?
- Have you been sly or secretly
mischievous? or have you been deceptive or hypocritical?
- Have you honestly obeyed
- Have been argumentative or
Third Torment: Spoke evil of
- Have you spread rumors or
gossiped in thought or in word?
- Have you slandered anyone
wanting to or intending to injure the reputation of another?
- Have you given bad ideas or
words to people?
- Have you laughed at other's
deficiencies or misfortunes?
- Have you maligned treated
anyone with malice or shown hatred toward or abused or wronged or injured
- Have you condemned anyone? or
declared others unfit?
- Have you made fun of people
in thought, word, or action? or mocked in a harmful way?
- Have you reproached anyone or
reflected on anyone abusively?
- Have you taunted, teased, or
- Have you insulted anyone?
Fourth Torment: Gluttony
- Have you eaten before I put
on the sign of the cross?
- Have you eaten when you were
- Have you eaten too much at
one time or became too full during the fasts?
- Have you eaten without having
thankfulness to God?
- Have you eaten like a slob or
out of control stuffing food in your mouth?
- Have you consumed too many
alcoholic beverages to the point of being drunk?
- Have you respected the feasts
and fasts as much as I should?
- Have you broken the fasts?
- Have you not looked forward
to the fasts taking in mind the true meaning and purpose of them?
- Have you eaten too many sweet
foods for the enjoyment of them or had a love of sweets?
- Have you had gluttonous
Fifth Torment: Sloth
- Have you taken efforts to
remember and extensively learn the Commandments of God and the precepts of
the Holy Fathers by reading spiritual things?
- Have you kept your physical
and spiritual passions in check all the time? Or had a general
carelessness about doing things having to do with the salvation of your
- Have you devoted yourself to
the comforts of life?
- Have you lacked endurance
towards my illnesses and sorrows by not struggling against your passions
as much as you should?
- Have you been idle? or not
worked as hard as you could have? or fallen asleep at work? or not wanted
to get out of bed?
- Have you complained about
having to work or attend long services or say long prayers?
- Have you cared to praise and
thank God as much as I could or should have throughout the day?
- Have you failed to keep in
continual prayer trying always to keep your mind on serving God?
- Have you dwelled upon your
- Have you fallen into
despondency? Or given up hope or not having faith in God that He can and
will change you?
- Have you forgotten to pray at
certain times during the day?
- Have you rushed through or
not said your morning and evening prayers whole-heartedly?
- Have you attended the
- Have you been fully prepared
to go to Church to worship? or have you gone to Church only
half-heartedly, lazily, and carelessly?
- Have you conversed during the
services about things not having to do with the service?
- Have you paid complete
attention during the services?
- Have you let your mind wander
or daydream or think other ungodly thoughts during prayer or services?
- Have you left the Church
before the dismissal and blessing?
- Have you forced yourself to
do good at all times?
- Have you had a weak will?
Sixth Torment: Stealing
- Have you stolen anything or
thought seriously about stealing something?
Seventh Torment: Avarice and love
- Have you loved riches?
- Have you been content with
what God gave you?
- Have you wished in your mind
that you had more money than you do already?
- Have you acquired unnecessary
things? or had and immoderate attachment to material things?
- Have you been too concerned
or caught up with material things?
- Have you been too concerned
with things having to do with the flesh?
- Have you bought things in
exchange for proper tithing?
- Have you been greedy or
- Have you worried about money
or financial circumstances instead of putting your trust in God?
- Have you had fantasies about
material wealth or having riches?
Eighth Torment: Usury
- Have you gained riches
by exploiting people?
- Have you accepted
- Have you acquired
something that belonged to another?
Ninth Torment: Injustice
- Have you judged
- Have you acquitted the
guilty and condemned the innocent all for the sake of gain
- Have you been unjust in
- Have you accused an
innocent person of committing an act that they did not do?
Tenth Torment: Envy
- Have you envied anyone? or
Eleventh Torment: Pride
- Have you been prideful?
- Have you thought myself
better than anybody else?
- Have you considered yourself
worthy while considering others unworthy?
- Have you had a high opinion
of yourself in any way?
- Have you talked down to
- Have you compared or measured
yourself up to anyone?
- Have you looked out for other
people's faults rather than your own?
- Have you tried to conceal the
shortcomings of others while trying to conceal your virtues?
- Have you been critical of
other people or criticized anyone?
- Have you been arrogant, vain,
- Have you relied completely on
yourself rather than God?
- Have you bragged or boasted
of things that you have accomplished? Have you loved praise and honors?
Have you put on airs?
- Have you been prideful of the
good deeds that you have done?
- Have you failed to give
proper honor or obey your parents or superiors appointed by God? Have you
- Have you thought yourself
- Have you been self-willed
instead of trying always to do the will of God?
- Have you been self-righteous?
Have you self-justified your sins?
- Have you disregarded the
counseling of your conscience?
- Have you failed to confess
any of your sins through negligence or false pride?
- Have you been impatient or
anxious about anything in which you shouldn't be that way about?
- Have you been prejudice towards
anyone for any reason?
- Have you had prideful
fantasies of power, fame, or glory?
Twelfth Torment: Anger and
- Have you felt anger?
- Have you said anything
unfeeling towards anyone? Have you harmed or hurt anyone's feelings in any
- Have you carried on arguments
with anyone about anything in your head?
Thirteenth Torment: Bearing
- Have you nurtured evil
thoughts against anyone?
- Have you returned evil for
- Have you remembered wrongs
anyone did to you in the past?
- Have you bore any grudges
instead of understanding, loving, and forgiving?
- Have you kept in mind when
anyone made offences towards you?
- Have you imagined ways you
could have revenge on anyone?
Fourteenth Torment: Murder
- Have you wounded
anyone is some way?
- Have you had any
violent or destructive thoughts?
- Have you had any
harmful thoughts aimed towards anyone?
- Have you wished evil
- Have you been angry
with people without a just cause?
Fifteenth Torment: Magic, sorcery,
poisoning, and incantations
- Have you thought about
your past interest in magic and things relating to magic?
- Have you imaged Holy
things having some sort of magical properties?
Sixteenth Torment: Fornication
- Have you had any sensual or
lustful thoughts? carnal thoughts?
- Have you daydreamed about
amorous and lustful things and found them sweet?
- Have you made impure glances?
- Have you touched yourself in
a lustful or passionate way that was pleasing or arousing?
- Have you had blasphemously
lustful thoughts about saints and holy people?
- Have you been unchaste in
thought, word, or deed?
- Have you waken up from
lustful bad dreams and found them pleasing to think about?
- Have you had fantasies of
lust or fornication?
Seventeenth Torment: Adultery
- Have you had any
adulterous thoughts with married people?
Eighteenth Torment: Sodomic sins
- Have you sinned against your
Nineteenth Torment: Heresies
- Have you participated
in Holy Communion having as much humility or the fear of God as you
- Have you loved and
feared the Lord always?
- Have you turned away
from the Orthodox confession of faith by apostatizing and agreeing with
false doctrines or beliefs?
- Have you lacked faith?
- Have you doubted or
had misconceptions about the faith?
- Have denied holy
things or had a negative attitude towards them?
- Have you been grateful
for all of God's great and unceasing gifts, His mercy, His long-suffering,
and His providence?
- Have you fulfilled the
Holy Commandments of God, the canons, and the rules of the Church?
- Have you blasphemed or
swore in thought or word?
- Have you thought curse
words when you pray?
- Have you turned words
of prayer into profane words or filthy concepts?
- Have you feared man
instead of God?
- Have you been too
attached to parents, relatives, and friends?
- Have you answered the
telephone during prayer?
Twentieth Torment: Lack of
compassion and cruelty of the heart
- Have you lacked mercy,
forgiveness, compassion, and love for anyone?
- Have you felt hatred
toward anyone? or any other manifestation of hatred?
- Have you been
unfriendly to anyone? or been cruel?
- Have you ridiculed
- Have you rejoiced at
the misfortunes of other's?
- Have you had abusive
or violent thoughts?
- Have you been polite
and friendly while driving on the roads and highways?
I have sinned in deed, word, and
thought, voluntarily and involuntarily, knowingly and unknowingly, in knowledge
and in ignorance, willingly and unwillingly, thoughtfully and thoughtlessly, by
day and by night, and it is impossible to enumerate all of my sins because of
their multitude. But I truly repent of these and all others not mentioned by me
because of my forgetfulness and I ask that they be forgiven through the
abundance of the mercy of God.